Brief History of Olton
The town of Olton began as a dream of a far-sighted land promoter soon after the turn of the century. W.P. Soash of Waterloo, Iowa purchased 87,000 acres of land from Colonel C.C. Slaughter’s Runningwater Ranch and launched promotion to sell farmlands in what he believed would one day be an agricultural empire.
Olton was founded in 1906. Lamb County was organized in 1908 with Olton as the County Seat. The official opening of the County was April 9, 1909, and the official opening of the Town of Olton was June 14, 1909, which included a church, school, and bank. With 175 legally qualified voters within the city in 1930, residents voted to become an incorporated city. Financial aid from a Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works grant and loan enabled the city to construct its first waterworks system in 1933. Lamb County voters voted to move the county seat to Littlefield in 1946. Olton continued to grow and had nearly 2,000 residents by 1960. The 2010 Census reported a population of 2,215 people.